Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Issues with Maids

There's a couple issues with bridesmaids that seem to come up consistently. Whether it be a disconnected maid, dealing with an underage maid and a bachelorette, or choosing too early, it's tough to navigate maids or matrons or junior maids.

Q: What do I do if one of my maids is just not interested in the wedding and won't help?

You pick your bridesmaids not because you want them as your personal slaves. Your maids are chosen to stand up next to you and show their support. There's a difference in a maid not showing their support and encouragement for your upcoming marriage and not wanting to sit assembling DIY favors all weekend. As a bride, you also need to keep in mind your bridesmaids' lives. Maybe one of them just lost a family member or has a huge work deadline coming up a few months before your wedding. Consider their feelings and at the very least, talk to them concerning the issues.

Q: I really want my younger sister to be part of my wedding, but she'll only be 18. Does that mean I can't have the kind of fun we want during the bachelorette?

Just because a maid is under the legal drinking age doesn't mean you all can't have fun. Maybe split your bachelorette. Do one night that's a crazy drinking night at a bar and another that's a calm, spa day or a nice dinner with some kind of activity after that you can all enjoy. You can also consider going to a place that serves alcohol, but doesn't card everyone in your party. Think smart, but also think of your maid and how she may feel about it.

Q: I just got engaged and am so excited to pick my maids! But I know I'm going to have a long engagement (1+ years). What do I do?

It's going to be the hardest thing to do, but wait. You really shouldn't pick your maids until at the most 11 months before the wedding. Relationships are going to change. Depending on the length of your engagement, it could be awhile until your wedding. Your best friend now may move across the country and not be as close in a few months. I know it's very difficult not to jump the gun, but breathe, enjoy the just engaged phase and don't worry about it!

If you have any wedding questions that you would like answered, please leave a comment and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment